Monday, July 27, 2009

Portsmouth, VA - Chocolate Bonbons memory

Since this is my first post that has to do with food, I'll make it a memory of my childhood. I went to a grade school in Portsmouth, VA called Westhaven Elementary School. I went there from 1954 until maybe 1961. Mr. Hardin was the principal.
.
Portsmouth is on the coast of Virginia, and it gets HOT . . . hot and humid . . . VERY hot and humid. It starts getting hot early in the springtime, and stays hot through September. Schools weren't air conditioned then, but being kids, somehow we didn't notice as much.
.
I remember walking home from school every day, and when I could, stopping by the Suburban Pharmacy and getting a chocolate bonbon. When you hear the word "bonbon," you might picture a small piece of chocolate candy. This was a small soda cup layered with crushed ice, one scoop of vanilla ice cream, and more crushed ice on top. Then a whoosh of soda fountain chocolate syrup was pumped into the cup, and the result was a cup of cold heaven!
.
It was not too gooey because of the melting ice, but it stayed cold a long time. The syrup was that good dark chocolate syrup, so it was more chocolaty and less sweet, and it was good to the last drop! I don't remember it being more than a dime, but I'm not sure about that. We were well beyond nickel ice cream scoops.
,
The ice had that particular size and crunch that comes from those old manual ice crushers. We had one at home, too, a Dazey rocket-shaped model as I found out they were called. It was just like this one, except with a transparent yellow plastic base. The chrome parts might have been white -- I can't quite remember.



If there's anyone out there who remembers these chocolate bonbons, please comment!

I did hear from someone that the Suburban Pharmacy still exists, it hasn't moved, but it no longer has a fountain, so no more chocolate bonbons, unless you make one yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen. I came here by the way of the Alumni Message Board. re: Suburban. You can still see where the soda fountain stools were mounted to the floor and we called the afternoon treat "Cherry Bonbons" in 1961. I usually got the 15-cent limeade with a double-shot of lime.
    Clyde
    ps. Feel free to peruse my blog for recent P-town events.
    http://oldetownephotos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Clyde!

    I remember the limeades at Karp's Pharmacy! I LOVE your photos. They made me feel really cool and nostalgic today, and you make Portsmouth look great. I heard there had been a lot of renovations (how about Old Bill's Naval Tailors)?

    ReplyDelete